Skip to main content

 

OMAD After 50: Is Eating One Meal a Day Right for You?

By the time we reach our 50s, many of us start noticing that the things that worked in our 30s and 40s simply don't work anymore. The weight creeps up. Hunger seems to have a mind of its own. Energy isn't always consistent, and despite eating "healthy," the scale refuses to budge.

That's exactly what led me back to OMAD—One Meal a Day.

I've done OMAD before, years ago after a prolonged water fast, and it became one of the easiest ways I'd ever maintained my weight. Recently, I decided to try it again, not because I believe it's a magic solution, but because I wanted to see how my body would respond in my mid-50s.

Here's what I've learned.

What Is OMAD?

OMAD stands for One Meal a Day, a form of intermittent fasting where you eat all of your daily calories within roughly a one-hour window and fast for the remaining 23 hours.

For some people that sounds extreme.

For others, it feels surprisingly natural.

The goal isn't to starve yourself. It's simply to spend more of the day in a fasted state, allowing insulin levels to remain lower for longer and giving your digestive system an extended break.

Why I Decided to Try It Again

As women age, hormones change, muscle becomes harder to maintain, and appetite regulation can feel completely different.

I wasn't interested in counting calories or eating six tiny meals a day.

I wanted something simple.

One meal.
One decision.
One kitchen cleanup.

Sometimes simplicity is the biggest benefit.

The First Few Days

The first three or four days were definitely the hardest.

My body expected breakfast because I'd trained it to.

But something interesting happened.

Once I pushed through those first few days, the hunger almost disappeared.

Instead of thinking about food all day, I started forgetting about it.

What Surprised Me Most

The biggest surprise wasn't the weight loss.

It was how much mental space I got back.

I stopped asking:

  • What should I eat?
  • When should I eat?
  • Should I have a snack?

Those constant food decisions simply disappeared.

Life became easier.

Benefits I've Personally Noticed

Everyone's experience is different, but these are some of the changes I've noticed:

  • Less bloating
  • Fewer cravings
  • Better digestion
  • More appreciation for food
  • Simpler meal planning
  • No constant snacking
  • Stable energy throughout the day
  • More time, because I'm not preparing multiple meals

Perhaps the biggest surprise was realizing that hunger often comes from habit rather than genuine need.

But OMAD Isn't for Everyone

This is important.

OMAD is a tool—not a religion.

Some people thrive on it.

Others don't.

It may not be appropriate if you're pregnant, underweight, have a history of eating disorders, take certain medications, or have medical conditions that require more regular food intake. If you have diabetes or another health condition, it's worth discussing any major dietary change with your healthcare provider.

What About Muscle Loss?

This is probably the biggest concern people have after 50.

Losing muscle isn't caused simply by eating less often.

It's more closely related to:

  • Not eating enough protein
  • Not doing resistance training
  • Not getting enough overall nutrition

If you choose to try OMAD, make that meal count.

Prioritize high-quality protein, nutrient-dense foods, and continue strength training.

Does It Help With Weight Loss?

For many people, yes.

Eating once a day naturally reduces opportunities to snack and may make it easier to eat fewer calories without constantly feeling like you're dieting.

That said, weight loss still depends on your overall energy balance. It's entirely possible to overeat during one meal, so OMAD isn't an automatic shortcut.

My Biggest Advice

Don't force it.

Ease into it.

You might begin with a 12-hour eating window, then 16:8, then 18:6, before deciding whether OMAD suits you.

Listen to your body rather than following a rigid rule.

My Final Thoughts

OMAD has reminded me that eating doesn't have to dominate the day.

For me, it's brought simplicity, fewer cravings, and a healthier relationship with food.

Will I eat one meal a day forever?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

The beauty is that OMAD is a tool you can use when it serves you and leave behind when it doesn't.

If you're over 50 and frustrated by constant hunger, endless snacking, or feeling like you're always thinking about food, it may be worth experimenting with—carefully and thoughtfully—to see how your own body responds.

After all, the best diet isn't the one that's trending.

It's the one you can enjoy, sustain, and that helps you feel your best.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Break a Water Fast

As always there's quite a bit of conflicting information out there about how to break a fast. One thing everyone agrees on is that the fast needs to broken slowly and gently. You also need several days to go back to eating normally. For example, if you do a 7 day fast, you need about 3 days of refeeding. On a 10 day fast, you'll need 4-5 days and so on. How you break the fast will make or break the whole experience. If you go right back to your old way of eating, you can easily negate all the benefits of your fast. One school of thought insists on breaking the fast with fruit, more specifically watermelon and then lots of veggies and more fruit. Since my goal is to remain in ketosis, I will be taking a different approach. I will be eating protein, fat and some low-carb veggies, bone broth and lots of water. I would also recommend abstaining from alcohol for at least a few days so you're not overburdening your liver. Listen to your body. Don't force the food if yo...

4 Months Later - Fasting - Carnivore - OMAD

I know it's been a while since I've done an update. So here we are at the beginning of September already. Things are progressing really nicely. So much better than I ever imagined. I've slowly transitioned to a mostly Carnivore diet , consisting or meat, eggs and dairy with very little veggies and no fruit. I've continued fasting on a regular basis. Basically having just one meal a day on most days (OMAD) and then still doing regular water fasts as I feel the need. My weight continued to decrease slowly but very steadily. I wasn't expecting this at all. I would have been very happy just maintaining my weight under 70kg and here I am at 62kg. How cool is that? Yeah, I'm sure excited.  Here's my latest before and after pic. Hopefully you guys can see the difference. I can tell you that I feel so amazing! I've had to buy a whole new wardrobe. I know, the horror, eh? I've stopped taking all my supplements. My eczema is a thing of the past. My Has...

240 Hour Water Fast Completed

That's 10 whole days for those of you who are bad at math. :) Wow, what an accomplishment. I can't believe that I had the willpower to stick to this. How did I know it was time to break the fast? Hunger returned with a vengeance last night. Also, weight loss has really slowed down in the last couple of days. I guess my body was running out of things to munch on. Well, I could still think of a few places but we have to trust the system. I woke up this morning very excited and started with some kefir to replenish some of the intestinal bacteria before my first meal. I'm now enjoying a nice cup of matcha tea with extra cream and a bit of bone broth protein (I swear it tastes like hot chocolate, yum!) and thinking about what my first proper meal will be. I still have some broth left so I was thinking of perhaps making some cream of mushroom soup and pretty much sticking to liquids today but the day is still young. Will keep you guys posted.